Re: Pre-Press at Printers and Publications Tools

Subject: Re: Pre-Press at Printers and Publications Tools
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 17:47:46 -0800

> -> The pre-press manager said that they preferred jobs to be created
> -> in FrameMaker or Quark Express. The reason being these applications
> -> gave them flexibility to massage the data before creating the press
> -> plates. Some of the massaging that goes on includes messing with text
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[snip]

> Pound for pound, writers and prepress technicians are equally capable of
> ruining carefully-prepared work because neither understand the complete
> process of writing, page layout and production. Yet both think they
> know it all. I will gladly print my camera-ready pages on an LJ4
> at 600 dpi, even if I have to forego a bit of resolution in the end
> product, just to have total control over both content and appearance.

Here!Here! (or There! There! as the case may be...) If my printer **ever**
started mucking about with the appearance or content of my document, it
would be my EX-printer soooo faaaassst!!!!! I've had enough problems with
in-house production editors to last me several lifetimes, thank you!
Having someone who doesn't even know what I'm writing about start changing
the words??? Never (well... at least, not more than once!!!)!

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com