Good gifts for technical writers

Subject: Good gifts for technical writers
From: Marc Paquette <paquette -at- INFINITY -dot- METROWERKS -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:28:23 -0500

Hello, all,

While looking through my cool, new copy of _The Chicago Manual of Style_ that
I received as a Christmas gift, I began thinking about other gifts a
technical communicator would appreciate.

OK, some tech writers would consider a style guide as a depraved thing to
give: "Since you enjoy pounding at a keyboard 10 hours a day, I thought I'd
give you something to help you pound at the keyboard even more!"

I'm sure, though, that many tech writers have received some neat gifts
that they appreciate and use often. My question is, "What is a good
gift for a technical writer?"

Here are some suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.
(Disclaimer: I'm somewhat of a gadget junkie.)

* a style guide

* the OED or other dictionary on CD-ROM (expensive, but oh so handy).

* a pocket computer/dictionary/speller (actually, while TV channel
flipping recently, I watched a commercial for a pocket Bible computer
that could have helped me while I was reading Margaret Lawrence
novels in university :-) )

* a couple of weeks on a sunny, secluded, southern Pacific island ;-)

Any other ideas?

Marc.