Re: OK, Frame's the obvious choice for long documents BUT.

Subject: Re: OK, Frame's the obvious choice for long documents BUT.
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 12:54:04 -0800

Bill Burns writes:
> In reference to your comment about extended characters, is their an easier way
> to do it than using the character map's mnemonic keystrokes in Word or Frame?
> I know that designing special characters can be a pain, especially when adding
> unusual bullets to paragraph definitions. But when I need a special
character,
> I just use the mnemonic keystroke (e.g. ALT+0151 for an emdash). If I'm way
> off base here, let me know. If there is an easier way to do this in general
> for Windows applications, clue me in as well.

Well, alt+number is the standard Windows way, and that's about the
easiest. Unless you're in Word and have something setup in autotext or
autocorrect. (Using autotext, your code name, then F3 -- so vd/F3 on
my machine produces Versions/Docs formatted in small caps in whatever
character set I happen to be using. Using autocorrect, just press the
space bar and it happens. I have em-dash set up as double hyphen. Each
time I type hyphen hyphen space, Word inserts an em-dash for me.)

The problem (I assume) is that Frame has stayed in straight ASCII to
go cross-platform but Windows is ANSI, so 0151 isn't an em-dash and
the arrow I use for menu selections isn't in the right place either.
I've got em-dash for Frame written down somewhere, it's ESC S ESC Q
or some such wierd and unintuitive combination.

(BTW Word does too have a non-breaking hyphen. It also has conditional
hyphens AND conditional text. :-)
-Sue Gallagher