Resumes & writing samples

Subject: Resumes & writing samples
From: Shelly LaRock <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 21:00:02 EST

I'm thoroughly enjoying the resume conversation,
since I am a soon-to-be-graduated tech writer. Like most
seniors, I am in the process of sending out resumes and
cover letters to as many people I can find to read them.
I would like to hear comments about sending writing samples,
especially to companies who aren't currently advertising
any open positions.

I have names and addresses of about 100-150 companies that
hire tech writers, but of course not all of them are currently
looking for writers. Should I send writing samples to these
companies or should I say they are available on request?
I know the importance of making sure an employer knows what
kind of work I do, but at about $1-1.50 per mailing (postage,
photo-copy costs, etc.), I'm not sure I could afford to send
a complete package to every company on my list.

I'd appreciate any advice on this matter. I don't know if
I should just send resumes and cover letters, or if that
would be a waste of time for both the employer and myself.
I always bring a number of writing samples to job interviews,
and I do mail all of my samples when a company specifically
asks for them. My question is this: how many of you who
are in charge of hiring would give a tech writer's resume
a second thought if there weren't any writing samples included?

Shelly La Rock smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu
Scientific & Technical Communications
Michigan Technological University