Re: resumes

Subject: Re: resumes
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 11:16:57 -0600

> From the TECHWR-L subscribers, I would like suggestions
> for a set of DOs and DON'Ts for technical communicators'
> resumes. Let's brainstorm online.

I am in the process of evaluating my first batch of resumes. Here is
what I have to say about the subject (which is very different than what
I would have said a few weeks ago).

1. Anything you say can and will be used against you.
Be it hobbies, objectives, formatting whatever. If your objective
is a "growth oriented position with a company which supports
employee's growth and education." be sure that is exactly what you
want. If you want something we can't provide, well, your skills
become much less relevant.

Same with formatting and style. I hate fruffry resumes, any type
smaller than 9 points, color, shadowed boxes, etc. With a resume
that busy, I don't want you writing manuals for us.

Remember, goal number one of resume readers is to eliminate 90%
of the candidates.

2. Short is good, but long ain't bad.
I want to know if you can write. Good technical writers tend to
be conscise and accurate. If I can find what I need to see in a
long resume, great. If I have to wade though a bunch of garbage,
well, that ain't so great.

3. A cover letter is good, but only if you have something to say.
I can only tolerate "I read with interest your add in the ...."
so many times. It's a *^ -at- #!! add, not a novel! How captivated
can you be? But, if you say something relevant that ISN'T in
the add, like, "My past experience with client/server software"
which I may not have noticed in the resume, but which IS relevant
and highly desirable, that is a very good thing.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?