Texts to Simulate "Keeping Up w/ Design" etc. Request.

Subject: Texts to Simulate "Keeping Up w/ Design" etc. Request.
From: DIANA PATTERSON <DPATTERSON -at- MTROYAL -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 06:41:07 -0600

I regret if I intrude a teacherly question here, but I want the advice
of "real" writers. I was a tech. writer for over 20 years. Now I am trying to
teach the subject. There are really no text books that I can find that deal
with the realities. In my own class I just add anecdotes such as Glen
Accardo's description of life in a shifting sand pit of design.
But now I have been given the responsibility of designing a curriculum
for a degree in "applied communications" which will be taught by the usual
teacher who has never done the job. I need good texts or collections of
articles I can get assembled into texts with appropriate copyright permission.
I want things that tell about analysis, "corporate social work" [my
own phrase for you know what], good use of technical graphics, and good case
studies (I already have Barb Couture's excellent out-of-print book in my list
of desirables). To add to the problem, I have to deal with technical writing
in several fields, from computers to geological surveying.
I realize that this is not a topic of interest to many, so please
reply to me privately.
Diana Patterson
DPatterson -at- MtRoyal -dot- AB -dot- CA