Re: "Mapping Hypertext": book and results

Subject: Re: "Mapping Hypertext": book and results
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:39:54 EST

Harv Millman asked about Information Mapping and hypertext:

>Do you know of any such documents created using the IM?
>Do you know of any attempts that didn't succeed? If so,
>why didn't they?

Yep. I'm working on some right now.

I'm producing the operating guide for the equipment manufactured by our
company, and similarly preparing the on-line help that goes with/on the
equipment. I prepare the op guide in the Info Mapping format, and use this
as a basis to produce the on-line help. (I use FrameMaker for both, the
equipment ships with FrameView installed on a built-in workstation.)

This wasn't my idea, I've taken over the manuals from a tech writer no longer
with the company.

It -seems- to be working well.

An advantage of creating a hypertext document out of Info Mapped files is that
the Info Map format already allows for white space. I take a single "map"
(i.e., page) of information, and break it up into several smaller screens.
The break along block divisions often seems to be just about right. Then,
when you're doing the links, you've got some assurance that the user will
(when they jump to a screen) see -only- the information that they want.

That's my experience, so far it's been good.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com