Re: Famous tech. communicators in literature?

Subject: Re: Famous tech. communicators in literature?
From: Brett E Lee <leex0096 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 02:10:43 -0600

Face it. You picked entirely the wrong profession if you harbor any hope
of being recognized by anyone. You might consider preparing a reader's
digest version of your favorite "scribner" character and pin it to your
jacket. At least then you could substantiate your claim that such an
obscure character ever existed.

Better yet, why don't you identify a contemporary Star Trek character
who is the most likely successor to the technical communicator. I would
argue that Data, or whatever his name is, is far more recognizable than
anyone I have seen listed. He also communicates technical information
in the few episodes I've seen.

Or, have your partner (if you have one) wear a shirt that says "I'm with
Scribner." Or, just go as one of your favorite manuals. Then the guests
can glance at your TOC or "About this Manual" sections for a synopsis of
your "character," and you don't have to explain for the entire
night--"well, he's a character in a book I've read that you don't
remember." Let's just hope that no religious fundamentalists attend the
party and decide to organize a book burning.

I'm always much clearer and calmer after a few hours sleep, so goodnight!

Brett Lee Leex0096 -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu