Re: Would you capitalize "internet?"

Subject: Re: Would you capitalize "internet?"
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:44:54 -0500

Darcey Harding <STU_DCHARDIN -at- VAX1 -dot- ACS -dot- JMU -dot- EDU> asks:

> Would you capitalize internet?

MHO: When referring to the international entity via which people
communicate via SMTP e-mail, Usenet newsgroups, the WWW, etc., using
systems whose IP network addresses were assigned by the Internet NIC,
capitalize it and precede it with "the." [Or is it the IAB that
assigns addresses? Whatever, you get the picture...]

When referring to a generic collection of interconnected local- and
wide-area networks, don't capitalize.

Example: "XYZ's corporate internet is now connected to the Internet
via a gateway system." [Ok, this is a contrived example. I'd probably
use "corporate network" instead.]

Based on your post, I presume you mean the former, so capitalize it.

kkh

--
Kelly K. Hoffman Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division, Nashua, NH
kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com "Reading the manual is admitting defeat."