Re: Freshman journalism and media bias

Subject: Re: Freshman journalism and media bias
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:20:38 EST

Normally, I try to avoid "off-topic" postings, but as a former journalist
I wanted to throw in an opinion.

Tammy Hale said that one reason for the current state of journalism in this
country is:

>I think the media are giving people what they want to hear.

In support of Tammy's statement, consider the following events:

1) June 1994. Two people dead in LA, OJ Simpson arrested for their murder.
2) September 1944. Over 140 dead when a Boeing 737 crashes near Pittsburgh.
Cause of crash unknown, it -might- be a design problem in rudder controls.

1) Impact of an OJ Simpson conviction in my life: Zippo.
2) Impact of a potential rudder flaw in a Boeing 737: Significant. Someday
I'll be flying in a 737 that may have this on-board flaw. (Remember, this
isn't the first time a 737 has crashed with no explanation, and the slim
clues keep pointing back to the rudder in both cases.)

January 1995. OJ Simpson trial is in progress. NTSB investigations into the
737 crash also in progress.

Which one is dominating the headlines? Which one are we talking about in the
office? Which one are we all interested in?

Very few of us will ever meet OJ. Most of us will find ourselves on a 737. Yet
which one are we follwoing in the news.

Gotta go. I hear Johnnie Cochran might open that mystery envelope today.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com