New Features and Changes in Release Notes

Subject: New Features and Changes in Release Notes
From: Iris Franks <ifranks -at- SMTPLINK -dot- MICROS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:15:14 EST

Hi everyone! I've been lurking about the list for several weeks now,
so I guess it's about time I said something.

My boss recently tasked the writers in our group to give him our
opinions on what the s/w engineers should provide in their internal
release notes. The following is his actual request:

If you could describe to the engineers the MINIMUM
description of a feature or bug fix that you would like
to see in their Release Docs, what would you tell them?
Please list or describe in as much detail as you think
they/I need.

He plans to develop a little spec and give it to the s/w project
managers. Hopefully, they'll then pass it on to their engineers.

I'm thrilled that he's planning to do this. To date, our engineers do
a fair job of documenting their changes/enhancements, etc., but
there's definitely room for improvement.

For those of you who have opinions on this subject, please share them.
I want to know what it's like for other technical writers out there.

Thanks in advance!

Iris Franks
ifranks -at- micros -dot- com