Re: Paperless, It will never go away

Subject: Re: Paperless, It will never go away
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 09:50:00 -0500

Have you ever left a diskette in your car, in July,
alongside your newspaper? Which one could you access an hour later?

Ever spilled coffee on a stack of papers and a CD-ROM? Which one could be read
afterwards? Ever tried to lift and carry the complete set of paper tech manuals
for a navy fighter aircraft? Now try lifting the CD-ROM set. (The latter is
perhaps still hard, but the former requires a forklift!)

The point is both media have their advantages. Screens today are harder to take
for long periods than paper, true. But I hope you're not going to try to insist
that will *always* be the case.

At the moment, I, too, have a preference for paper. But I also know there are
certain circumstances today under which I would prefer electronic to paper. And
I am certain that set of circumstances will expand as time progresses, and that
before I die there will only be a small set of circumstances under which I'll
prefer paper.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24