Re: Amber vs Orange

Subject: Re: Amber vs Orange
From: Lori Moore <LORIMOORE -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 16:11:16 MDT

Carl-

I think that "amber" would be fine to use in describing your light
indicators to ESL readers. (ESL= English as a Second Language, for
those who missed the original.)

You said that there would be no confusion about which lights are
being referenced, so take advantage of the situation to bring
the ESL-ers up to snuff in our language!

I also have many ESL readers and take care not to write "over
their heads". In your situation, I'd choose "amber". SHOULD
THERE BE A QUESTION, it would take only one native American
pointing their finger at a light indicator in question and
the foreign American ("foreign American"??) will know a new
color! Ahh, what a service we provide!

BTW, any comments on my placing the puncuation _outside_ the
quotes when it follows a PHRASE, as in the paragraph above?
I just can't see putting them _inside_ the quotes except when
writing dialog. I'd LOVE to hear others' opinions on this!

Lori Moore
Micron in Boise }}}} Freebird }}}}}
Idaho, USA