Warp vs. Windows: Clash of the Titans - SPD Boston-Area Meeting

Subject: Warp vs. Windows: Clash of the Titans - SPD Boston-Area Meeting
From: "Lawrence \"Lonnie\" Brennan" <lb -at- MRST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 13:32:00 EST

The Society for Documentation Professionals

*************February Meeting Announcement****************

Clash of the Titans: IBM's OS2-Warp vs. MS Chicago Windows

Join representatives of IBM and Microsoft for a lively
debate on teh future of this hot market competition.

****************Meeting Information*****************
Wednesday, February 15
5:30-6:30 p.m. Registration/networking/hor d'oeuvres
6:30-7:30 p.m. Presentation

Meeting Place: Baldwin's, Woburn, MA. Located across the circle
from the Ramada Inn at the junction of Route 38 (Main Street)
and Route 128 (I-95), Exit 35.

Meeting Fees
Gold membership: free
Budget membership: $10
Non-members: $15
Non-member students: $12

Reservations
PLEASE make reservations to help us plan for ample space and food. Call
(508)750-4000.

SDP FAQ's

What is the difference between SDP and STC?
- STC is big, SDP is small (about 130 members)
- STC is international, SDP draws mostly from the
Boston and North of Boston areas, including New Hampshire
- They are complimentary organizations
- Most SDP members are also members of STC (about 67%)
- SDP is less formal
- SDP handles local issues
- SDP is very "nuts & bolts", very practical
- SDP provies people with local connections and practical
technical information and advice.

How long has SDP been around? I've never heard of it.
12 years

Why does SDP exist? We have STC?
I don't know. It just does. It offers another source of
information for technical communicators.

How do I get more information about SDP?
Call (508) 750-4000 and ask for a brochure. We've been very
lucky these past couple of years to have our secretary
receive calls at ClearPoint Consultants, a local placement firm
(pronounced "HEADHUNTERS")

Oh, so what's the connection with these placement folks?
SDP has almost always had at least one placement professional
on its board of directors...it has greatly helped to
have people with their "ears on the marketplace."
SDP also encourages ALL placement folks to make announcements
before each meeting, distribute literature, and newsletters,
etc. SDP does NOT endorse any placement agency, but rather
makes an EXTRA effort to provide meeting attendees with
job placement and educational opportunity information,
WHENEVER possible.

How are the meetings?
Truthfully, they run hot and cold. Some are great, others are
tightly focused on areas that some folks don't care about, for
example, there's a lot of Macintosh folks who will probably pass
on this month's meeting, since it's mostly PC-focused.
For the most part, the presenters have been top-rate and the meetings
have been VERY well attended.