Re: Article On Getting Cooperation from Resource People

Subject: Re: Article On Getting Cooperation from Resource People
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 16:39:00 -0600

* Get your ego under control. You are merely a humble writer, but this
person is a creator. Don't forget the respect that you owe them.

Good advice, but lines like the above have already caused mushroom clouds on
this list. Can I suggest we try to de-fuse some of the weaponry I hear warming
up by adding the word "also" after "this person is ..." in the above sentence?

Also, the "humble writer" bit is a useful attitude to keep in your toolbox, but
it isn't foolproof. I've worked with someone who wouldn't give me any help until
I proved I was as much a pro as he was. I had been trying the "humble writer"
routine, which he translated internally into "idiot." Don't let your ego get in
the way, but if your "target" (for lack of a better word, sorry I'm blocked at
the moment) is the type that doesn't go for the ego-boo, then you'll have to be
prepared to switch tactics.

But, on the whole, good advice.

Have fun,
Arlen