Re: Assumption of Knowledge

Subject: Re: Assumption of Knowledge
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 14:55:13 CST

Vince P writes:
> Is the author of a document the person who provides the technical
> content OR is it the person who edits the grammar and does all the
> formatting?

I write the content and edit the grammar and do the formatting.
Please don't assume/imply that a technical writer doesn't provide the
technical content.
My technical SME trains me (or shows me a demo). I then write a manual
(from scratch or with the help of design specs--when they exist). My
SME then fills in the blanks for me, provides procedural examples, etc.
But I can't remember a manual I've written where I've been solely an
editor/page designer as your note suggests. I've always RAN AWAY from
technical editing or copyediting jobs because I like the technical side
nearly as much as the writing side.
--
____
/ ___/ Sherri Hall * . . . May the wind be always at your back.