Re: sex or gender?

Subject: Re: sex or gender?
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 18:12:22 MST

> Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM> asked the question--
> When referring to whether a person is male or female, do you prefer the
> traditional term "sex," or do you prefer the term "gender?"

"Gender" is no longer used strictly for grammar; however, it is
also NOT used in the biological sense when referring to male or
female. "Sex" is still the preferred and correct term. "Gender"
is becoming increasingly common when referring to social or cultural
categories of sex, such as "gender roles in society."

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=