Re: sex or gender?

Subject: Re: sex or gender?
From: "Bailey, Doug S" <dsbailey -at- PO4 -dot- PCMAIL -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 07:37:00 CST

>When referring to whether a person is male or female, do you prefer the
>traditional term "sex," or do you prefer the term "gender?"

Nice opening topic, I don't have to quote anything else to keep readers on
track.
Short and sweet.

I've always thought of 'sex' as referring to the 'act' or emotions involved
with
it. Gender has always referred to the physical characteristics, and
therefore
identification, that makes one male or female. Gender has fewer
connotations,
is relatively neutral, and can be more clear than 'sex'.

Doug

Douglas S. Bailey, Technical Writer
System Software Documentation
Intergraph Corporation