Re: What "beg the question" means

Subject: Re: What "beg the question" means
From: Susan Alice Wheeler <swheeler -at- FLUTE -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 11:14:13 -0800

Actually, "begging the question" generally falls into two categories:

1. those arguments that simply restate, as a premise, the author's
conclusion (ex: Students like pizza because it's their favorite food.);

2. those arguments that attempt to support the conclusion with
premises (expressed or implied) that are as much in need of proof as the
conclusion itself (ex: The erosion of traditional male leadership
has lead to an increase in divorce because men no longer possess
leadership roles.).