Re: Tech Writing Compensation

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Compensation
From: "Shelly M. LaRock" <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 15:09:07 EST

Since I'm graduating soon, I've done a lot of checking
on salaries. Our career center at Michigan Tech
has engineers averaging around $35-40k, programmers
about the same, and tech writers around $25k. Of course
that's for entry-level, but it still doesn't look
good for tech writers.

Lately, I've found that most tech writers starting
entry-level jobs have been getting offers in
the low 30's, so I guess it's getting better.

What's fair? I think it depends on the kind of
work you do. If I'm creating brochures for a local
business, I wouldn't expect to get as much as if
I was responsible for documenting a new software
system as well as helping with the programming
or engineering.

But when it's 2:45 on a Friday afternoon and I have
six programmers just bringing review copies back
and a manager who wants a new draft by 3:00, I
sure don't feel I'm compensated enough!

Just my two cents.

Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu