"Beg the question"

Subject: "Beg the question"
From: Sonja Draeger <sonja -at- HPATO -dot- AUS -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:30:17 EDT

content-type:text/plain;charset=us-ascii
mime-version:1.0

I was reading an article about P.J. O'Rourke in a Melbourne Sunday paper when I
came across this sentence:

According to PJ, we would still be in India if our midddle class
had married into the Indian middle class instead of becoming
instant racist aristos the moment they set foot on the sub-continenent.
This, of course, begs the question -- why should the Indians have
gone along with this? But it's a perceptive observation.

In this sentence, "begs the question" doesn't seem to be avoiding the issue at
all. Do you think that it has been used correctly here?

Sonja Draeger
Learning Products Developer
Hewlett-Packard Australia Ltd
sonja -at- hpato -dot- aus -dot- hp -dot- com