Re: "One" is the loneliest pronoun

Subject: Re: "One" is the loneliest pronoun
From: marsha durham <m -dot- durham -at- UWS -dot- EDU -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 16:05:47 +1100

I agree Sandra. My students will turn in the most convoluted text rather
than use 'one', but they also do not seem comfortable with the more
informal 'I'. The sense of egalitarianism shows up in other ways as well.
In a cross-cultural study of Japanese and Australian university students,
I found that the Japanese expected to show that they were a 'good'
student by obeying their teacher. The Australian students reacted quite
negatively to this suggestion, saying that the concept of obedience (at
least giving overt indications of it) showed 'servility'.