Re: Left hand side

Subject: Re: Left hand side
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 20:23:48 MST

John Gear wrote--

: Are the terms "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" also irrelevant
: unless what you're talking about has something to do with time or clocks?

But, John, "clock" is not extraneous baggage added to those
words for perceived emphasis. "Wise" and "counterwise" would be
meaningless.

However, "left side" and "right side" lose nothing in the
absence of "hand." (There are a few *very* specific exceptions
to this that were noted in other posts.)

: What about a warning that includes this:
: "the edges are razor sharp"--when we aren't talking about shaving?

Okay, "razor" does modify the *degree* of sharpness. But "hand"
doesn't make something more left or more right. If I wanted to
indicate degree of direction, I could say "the far right side."

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=