Overuse of Bulleted Lists

Subject: Overuse of Bulleted Lists
From: Tom Williams <Tom_Williams -at- NOVELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 09:46:55 -0700

I have worked with editors and writers who, whenever
faced with a series of items, put them in a bulleted list.
This seems to me like the old saw that to the person
who has only a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Using a bulleted list may make individual items in the
series easier to pick out but may also suggest that the
list is more important than the rest of the text, which is
not always the case. Any thoughts on this? Does
anyone know of any applicable research?

ltw (lowly tech writer)