Service Mark

Subject: Service Mark
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 10:03:47 PST

One response to the "SM" question (and get your minds outta that
gutter!) was by PJ Rose:

> The superscript "SM" (in caps) indicates a "service mark". In most
> countries, a service mark provides the same legal protection as trademarks,
> except that a service mark applies to services sold by a merchant, and is
> used to distinguish its services from those of another merchant.

You can also service mark a tag line (for example, I believe Toyota's
"I love what you do for me!" is service marked). We recently applied
to service mark one of our little tag lines here at RIS. Just as long
and complicated a process as applying for a trademark, or registering
a trademark...

Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com