Net Invades Bill of Rights?

Subject: Net Invades Bill of Rights?
From: Harold Snyder <ENSNYDER -at- ECUVM -dot- CIS -dot- ECU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 12:46:22 EST

Earlier this morning there was a discussion about the folks in Washington
invading the Internet (and possibly violating the 4th and 1st amendments).
The March 14, 1995 issue of PC Magazine has an article (on p. 30) entitled
"Law and Disorder on the Internet" by Angela Gunn. This article addresses
Freedom of Speech (esp. with respect to an online religious discussion
group getting sued by a religious group for violating the Trade Secrets
Act), Wire Fraud (about an MIT students who didn't violate the Copyright
Act by downloading copyrighted software), and Patents (about the CompuServe
and Unysis to-do about .GIF files).

If you think things on the Net are getting complicated, well, I'm sure (to
quote Jimmy Durante or was it Gabby Hayes; I'm sure it wasn't Yogi Berra)
"You ain't seen nuthin' yet!"

Future discussion about the Internet will be interesting, and I hope the
PC mag article helps those who read it.

Hal Snyder,
No Expert on Either the
Constitution or the Internet
(just an interested former journalism prof
turned technical communications prof:>)
ensnyder -at- ecuvm1 or ensnyder -at- ecuvm -dot- cis -dot- ecu -dot- edu
(no words of wisdom<:)