tools-how specific in a hardware manual

Subject: tools-how specific in a hardware manual
From: Kelly Kremin <kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 15:07:54 LCL

Finishing a hardware manual. My mgr want me to include specific tools
in procedures.

Use an xx hex wrench to remove the two xx screws that connect the
bracket to the Z column.

The mechanical engineers is against this. He can't guarantee what
screw (or bolt or whatever) might be used in a given situation & the
potential for the manual to include incorrect info is high. Also, he
says, service people will have complete sets of tools. Plus they are
tool & part literate.

Remove the two screws that connect the bracket to the Z column.

Our dept does not have a style guide (I've tried for one repeatedly).
Other hardware info is inconsistent, sometimes there's specific info.
Or not.

So, opinions? Experiences? Recommendations?

Thanks.

kellyk -at- cyberoptics -dot- com