Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 15:09:42 CST

Marc said:
> IMHO you should either hire based upon samples, or conditionally hire for
> 60-90 days and reevaluate. The second choice amounts to entering into a
> short term contract. It gives both the employer and the writer a chance to
> strut their stuff...and change their mind.

I like the contract idea, in theory. However, in reality, our company is
so understaffed and finding qualified candidates is so tough to begin with
(St. Louis isn't know for being a mecca for tech writers) that once we
hire someone, we're stuck with them. In other words, management would
rather live with a bad choice than re-invest in the hiring/training
process again. What are others' experiences--from the mgmt side?
--
Sherri Hall (shall -at- hilco -dot- com)