Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 13:26:34 -0500

Judging someone's writing skills based on her or his resume seems
a bit odd. I've written dozens of resumes for people as well as
edited them. Add to this all of the resume writing services out there,
and the outplacement firms, not to mention the dozens of books on resume
writing that provide template resumes--I can't see how evaluating a resume
helps you assess a writer's writing skills.

Choosing a technical writer is just as risky as choosing an electrician,
or a doctor, or an attorney. Sometimes it doesn't work out, even when
the credentials are there.

Writing ability... Seems to me that many of us would not agree on writing
ability. Just like many developers wouldn't be able to agree on what
constitutes a good software program.

I've been consulting and contracting for about 7 years now. The testing
goes both ways. I've had some dismal contracts--some that made a month
seem like a decade, and paying taxes seem like it was my birthday.
I've just gotten better at interviewing the interviewers--mostly because
of bad experiences.

Hiring experienced writers with good references from a variety of sources
seems as close to a guarantee as you can get. Hiring college grads in a
startup situation--well, you're sort of asking to do a lot of training
and mentoring.

Lots of good technical writers had good mentors--people who gave them
constructive feedback, people who encouraged them to query and listen to
users, people who encouraged them to try out the product and be a
proactive part of the developement team, people who encouraged them to do
usability testing, people who encouraged them to join professional
societies, take continuing education courses, attend seminars, and so on.

Nancy Hoft, itech -at- mv -dot- mv -dot- com
INTL TECH COMM SVCS
RR2 Box 493 Moran Road
Temple, NH 03084
Telephone: 603.878.4540