Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 18:18:17 -0700

I had to take a writing test once. I was required to
write instructions for balancing a checkbook. Well, I remembered
that I had had training in balancing a checkbook years ago in
high school, but I had actually to that date, never used that training.
In other words, kiddos, I did not know *how* to balance a checkbook.
So I wrote "How Not to Balance a Checkbook". My answer proved
I could organize ideas and write in clear language. It also showed
that I was a creative problem solver. I was offered the job.

Actually, I like tests. I'm one of those obnoxious types of people.
I think testing is an option in hiring, although I personally do
not resort to it. To me, the interview is a type of test, in and
of itself. A test is just another interview question, IMHO.

Also as a hiring "lead" (haven't quite reached the vaunted position
of "manager" ever...) I am aware that some folks who write well
may not test well. Even if I ever choose to use testing, I would
tend to weight it with all the other factors. All else being even,
a writer who did well on the test would have a better chance of
being hired. But if another candidate had everything else going
for him or her, and was great to get along with, but failed the test
they may still be considered. Especially if the candidate who
aced the test had a rotten personality.

Y'know?

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales