<OP> Clear subject lines

Subject: <OP> Clear subject lines
From: "Susan C. Galbraith" <CogitoTS -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 22:17:35 -0500

Geoff Hart liked my proposal about clarifying the subject lines of postings,
and said:

>I propose that we come up with a list of such "icons" and >start using it.
Since "cogitot" proposed the idea, would s/he >be willing to compile a list
of suggestions, post them here >for feedback, and then make them available as
a FAQ
>document for this mailing list?

I am willing to compile a list of proposed tags for subject lines and report
back to the mailing list. I think brevity is essential, to free up the
remainder of the subject line for more specific descriptions of content. Can
we convey meaningful information while limiting tags to 3-4 characters?

I suggest we start with the following categories. My proposed tag follows
each category. Feel free to send me your suggestions for alternative tags
and/or modified categories:

advertising messages <AD>
jobs/contracts offered <$$>
jobs/contracts wanted <$?>
meeting notices <MTG>
questions <??> (answers would thus become RE:??)
humor <HUM> or <:-)>
interesting trivia <TRIV>
opinions/ranting/flames <OP> or <OP*%> or <*%!>

Susan Galbraith
Cogito Technical Services
Writing, Editing, and Research in Building Science
CogitoTS -at- aol -dot- com