Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Rick Lippincott <RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 21:13:20 -0500

Gwen Barnes suspects that a large number of cover letters are ghost written.

Possibly, but wouldn't that interject a delay into the response? The
conventional wisdom I've always followed is that you want to respond quickly
to learning of a job. For example, Sunday morning I see an ad in the paper.
My resume is ready. I carefully craft a cover letter directed towards the
company, and it can go off into the mail Monday morning. (If there's a fax
number, I can fax modem it in Sunday night from home.)

Meantime, another job hunter sees the same job. While I'm dropping my
envelope off at the post office, he's making an appointment with the ghost
writer. My letter is in the manager's hands, his is going through the final
draft. I've already made a follow-up call, his is just getting out there.
I'm being called in for an interview, he's still trying to find out his
status.

My personal feeling is that a person who can't manage to write a cover
letter might want to think about a career other than tech writing.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com