SURVEY: Technical Editors

Subject: SURVEY: Technical Editors
From: Chris Silker <silke001 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 20:06:51 CST

Hi all. I'm a graduate student at the University of Minnesota and
I'm writing a paper about how (if?) online editing has changed
editors' jobs. I've read all the articles I could find about
online editing (not that many), but I would like to incorporate
some practicing editors' perspectives on online editing.

I would like to hear from technical editors, particularly
technical editors who edit online--softcopy editing, onscreen
editing, paperless editing, computer editing, electronic editing-
-however you describe it. I'm interested in finding out the
following:

o How much of your editing is done online?
o How long have you edited online?
o What tools or techniques do you use to edit online?
o Has your use of online editing impacted or changed your
editing?
o What other thoughts or comments do you have about online
editing?

Please reply to me directly, not to the list. If there is
interest, I can summarize responses and post the summary to the
list.

Thank you for your time.

Chris Silker
Department of Rhetoric
University of Minnesota
silke001 -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu