Reply: Levels of edit

Subject: Reply: Levels of edit
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 17:21:11 LCL

Audrey Choden wrote: <<I had never heard of the Levels of Edit concept
before. Could someone enlighten me? I need a reference...>>

Here are two references:
1. Donald Samson Jr. 1993. Editing technical writing. Oxford Univ.
Press
2. William O. Coggin and Lynnette R. Porter. 1993. Macmillan
Publishing Company.

Here's the quickie explanation, though: When you edit, you can do
anything from (most simplistically) checking only the spelling to (in
most detail) rewriting every last sentence so that it is as nearly
perfect as human frailties permit. The more time you have, and the
more permissive your client (the author), the nearer you will come to
the latter extreme. Most real-world editing, done under heavy time
pressure, falls somewhere in between, with the goal being (i) to avoid
embarrassing typos and other obvious errors and (ii) to reword
anything that the reader won't be able to figure out without
considerable thought.
"Levels of edit" per se strikes me as an artificial concept, since
I always tailor my editing approach to the individual job and author.
But in some organisations, where the relationship between author and
editor is more formal (or the environment is more production oriented
and less collaboration oriented), the concept seems to serve very
well. To me, the real problem is that assigning a fixed level of edit
assumes that the author (or program manager) knows more about the
manuscript than the editor does; in my experience, this is never the
case. If it were, we probably wouldn't need editors because the
authors would do their own corrections (or the program managers would
return the drafts for revision because they were unsuitable). Note:
Before I get flamed by the publications managers out there, let me
reiterate that I said "program managers" (the author's boss), not
publications managers. The latter, often being editors themselves, may
be sufficiently involved in the production process to be able to
characterize a manuscript correctly. Even so, I say leave the work to
the editor.
--Geoff Hart #8^{)}