What should I charge?

Subject: What should I charge?
From: Eileen Anderson <EBANDERSON -at- UALR -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:40:19 -0600

I'm an academic writer and editor. I also oversee my department's
Macintosh network, write and maintain our HTML documents on the World Wide
Web, and have become the local internet nerd.

I was approached by a faculty member who wants me to help him purchase and
set up a Macintosh system at home, and train him on internet goodies.

I can do this, but my "official" qualifications in the technical realm are
sketchy: two years of engineering courses, a class in C programming. I'm
self-taught on the internet (aren't we all?) and HTML, and am still filling
in the blanks in terms of my knowledge of hardware. Also, this will be
my first time out as a consultant/teacher.

What should I charge? I can't ask the locals who do it; I'll be in
competition with them.

Sorry this topic is peripheral. But I bet some of you out there do this
kind of thing. Replies by e-mail; I'll summarize if there is interest.

Eileen Anderson
ebanderson -at- ualr -dot- edu