Really Clear Subject Lines

Subject: Really Clear Subject Lines
From: Margaret Gerard <margaret%mailhost -at- TOSHIBA -dot- TIC -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 08:26:55 --1000

Yesterday, I posted the message below but when it showed up on the list
it had been truncated and scrambled. Dunno why. If it looked OK to
you first time round, sorry to bother you with the repetition.

************

I received a private post on this subject with which I heartily agree:

While I like the idea of clearing labeling subject lines, I have
to shake my head at the concept that this group is going to
follow some set of preset labels.

Hey, Eric can't even get people to read instructions on how to
unsubscribe, set the digest, etc.; how on earth does anyone
propose to force them to use prescribed labels?

I hardly think people are going to be pulling up instructions,
trying to recall what is supposed to be used for job postings
(was that one $ or two?) or opinions (OPED? MHO? RIGHT?), at
the moment that inspiration strikes.

Let us simply ask that everyone LABEL their subject lines in
a way that appears to be intelligible. JMHO.

I posted the copyeditors list because I don't relish the idea of having
to remember two sets of labels. But the idea quoted above, that the
label not be from a prescribed list but simply be there and be intelligible,
is much better. What label should I have used for this post? Or would
we not need a label when just continuing discussion of a topic identified
in the subject line?

Cheers,
Margaret Gerard