Re: Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators
From: Bill Amos <bpa1 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 13:53:45 +0800

Vince Putnam wrote:

----- Begin Included Message -----

BULL, what is the language of business all over the world? In most foreign
countries, including Japan, the people think it is an insult to their
country and personal values to use English -- until they need to conduct
business anywhere or deal in technical issues. In this respect, we are the
envy of the world.

When we want to communicate in a foreign language, we must be very very
careful when we translate or we too will be the laughingstock of the entire
world, just like all of the Asian countries. They want to sell their
products, but hate to pay for translation into English, specially to an
American. We all know how self-serving they are -- they copy (steal)
instead of inventing. Love your VCR instructions do you?

Nancy, practice what you preach, its you who was not careful about your
statements. Most Americans do not need to speak other languages, we are
understood everywhere business is conducted. No other language is
universally understood, right?

----- End Included Message -----

I don't think I've ever seen a clearer invitation to a flame war.

The attitude toward the universality of English reminds me of a story about
a Texas school administrator many years ago who raved against teaching
foreign languages in the public schools. "If English was good enough for
Jesus Christ, it's good enough for our children!"

Any one who has lived in another country for any length of time knows that
English is commonly, but not universally, understood. Even then, the depth
of skill is usually low, making misunderstandings more common than not. Just
try conducting a training class in English for people from another country.
It ain't easy. It helps to know as much as possible of their language to
smooth over the rough spots. Very few Americans are equipped to do that,
especially in the Asian languages.

I also take exception to the generalization that "we all know how self-
serving they are", etc. This is the stuff that ranting is made of.

Bill Amos
Objective Systems Integrators
Folsom, CA