Talking to the Receptionist

Subject: Talking to the Receptionist
From: Marcia Coulter <NOTJUST -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 11:11:59 -0800

I definitely chat talk to the receptionist when I'm marketing my writing
and training. (They hold a wealth of information.) But I respect his/her
time too, but not just by calling at what I assume will be a "dead" time
of day.

Instead, I tell them my purpose, tell them I need some help, and ask if
they have time to talk to me.

For example: "I'm a free-lance writer specializing in online and printed
documentation for software products. I need a little help getting to the
right person. Do you have a few minutes to talk to me?"

If they do...great. If they don't, I ask for a more convenient time. If
there's no more convenient time, I leave the poor person alone and try
something else. All that said, most of the time people are glad to help
if you ask and they have time.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com