Re: Resumes for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Resumes for Technical Communicators
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- CLARK -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 19:43:33 -0500

On Sat, 11 Mar 1995, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> >In my opinion, a cover letter is a waste of time. If you have something
> >more to say, why did you not say it in your resume and refrain from >
>wasting a busy executive's time reading yet another piece of paper? (As >
>that busy exective with a desktopful of resumes, that was my reaction.) >

> Well, there are a lot of ways to play this game. It's often easier to >
give your pitch in the cover letter than in the resume. If you do > a
good job, the resume will not actually be read, but the manager has > a
warm feeling from knowing that he has it in his file should he > ever wish
to read it.
> > -- Robert >

All the executives I ever knew were harried individuals trying to get ther
difficult jobs done and wih little time for "a warm feeling," whatever that
is. People tend to send cover letters because they have come to believe
that those are obligatory. I am reminded of the new generation British
army officer who set out, after WWII, to find out why every artllery
crew required a member whose sole duty was to stand to one side when the
piece was fired. It was traditional, but no one knew why or what that
artlleryman's job was. After much research, the officer discovered that the
position dated from an earlier time when the duty of that artilleryman was
to hold the horses and prevent them from bolting when the gun was fired.

At long last, that needless position was abolished.