Re: OPINION: Dissin'? Arrgg!

Subject: Re: OPINION: Dissin'? Arrgg!
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 19:06:44 MST

Lori Long wrote--

> Are you saying you would prefer that the individuals on the forum not use
> colloquiallisms, even for the sake of style or humor?

No, no, no! I prefer people use an easygoing, informal style on
the forum. It helps us get a feel for the real person behind the
words!

I honestly did not know what the word meant. One side of me
recognizes that our language--any language--evolves continuously
over time; yet, another side of me feels that the language that
I'm comfortable with is being "butchered."

I guess it's part of aging and passing into (or out of) another
generation. I'm 37 (Shock! A woman publicly admits her age!)
and this is the first time I've felt alienated about something
new coming out of a younger generation. Kind of like the first
time you realize that you have no idea what the hit songs are.
Somewhere along the line we stop listening to the current hits
and start listening to "oldies."

Thanks for your reply, Lori. Hope your weekend is going nicely.

Bev
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil