Re: Document management & workgroup tools

Subject: Re: Document management & workgroup tools
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 06:45:41 PST

>Hello, Twirlers. I have been nosing around here for a few weeks, and now
>find that I can use your input. I am working on an article about document
>management and collaborative document production.

>Some questions:
>What tools are you using for these needs?
>How effective are the tools you are using?
>What are the shortcomings of these tools?
>What are the benefits of the tools?

Here are my thoughts about the overall issues in turning a group of
individual Publications people into a cohesive workgroup, through the
proper use of computers.

Many of the critical issues are more network design and system administration
issues than anything. My experience is that you need ALL of the following
things if your publications group is going to be an efficient, cross-trained,
collaborative workgroup:

* You need a network setup where there is plenty of space for all documents
of all the projects that show the least sign of life.

* Documents need to be stored in a directory hierarchy that's organized by
project and title, not by user.

* All the people in the Publications group need to be able to open, print,
and modify each other's documents.

* No one outside the Publications group should be able to modify documents,
but they should be able to open and print them.

* No data of any consequence should EVER be on an individual PC or
workstation, unless that system is backed up daily, and is being used
as a file server. Everything should be on the file server, which had
better be backed up daily itself. If this is done:

* Users whose systems fail can simply log onto a different machine
and continue work.
* No data is lost when a user's system has a hard disk failure.
* Backups actually work, for once.
* Users can open each other's documents, which helps them cover
for each other during times of vacation, illness, or overload.
* Users see each other's formatting tricks, and incorporate the
good ones into their own work.

* All users should compose directly in the target DTP program. It's
very inefficient to do drafts in one program, layout in another, and
then either have to edit the text in the layout program, or re-import
and re-layout the entire text.

* The target DTP system should have a decent drawing package. Microsoft
Word, PageMaker, and Quark are particularly pathetic in this area.
Importing diagrams sounds okay until you get a couple of hundred of
them.

* The target DTP program should be able to handle multi-part documents
seamlessly. That is, a document divided into twelve files, one per
chapter, should maintain pagination, autonumbering, and references
across files, and generate full-document indexes and tables of contents
across files.

* Use a DTP program that is designed for the types of documents produced.
For a Technical Publishing group, the entire list is FrameMaker and
Interleaf, with FrameMaker as the low-price leader, and Interleaf as
the high-end product.

* Use templates and style sheets for everything. Proper templates make
it to compose documents in fully formatted form, avoiding formatting as
a separate step. They also impose uniformity of style and construction,
simplify training, and speed up production.

* Have someone in the group who aggressively maintains and updates templates
and style sheets. If the tools don't fit the needs, the users will go
off and individually reinvent the wheel.

* Network management is very important. If the network becomes unreliable
or slow, or if the network disks fill up and are not expanded, users
will be forced to revert to the usual "all my files are on my PC, which
was backed up two years ago" workplace style.

-- Robert

Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215

"Just cut a few notes and it will be perfect."