Re: QUERY: Mouse nomenclature?

Subject: Re: QUERY: Mouse nomenclature?
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 08:27:13 -0800

Left is always left, yes? no matter which hand you are using. I don't
understand the confusion.

Numbering the buttons means we all have to learn which way the
numbering goes: from left to right or right to left? So we may as well
skip adding this layer and stay with left, middle, right.

MB1? ha ha ha ha ha ha How very IBM.

jb
============================
Hello all --

I'd like to know if there is a defacto standard for referring
to the buttons on the mouse. I've seen three different styles:

left, middle and right mouse button
mouse button 1, 2, 3
MB1, MB2, and MB3

As a (right-handed) user of a left-handed mouse, I find the
first choice confusing. I always have to stop and do the
flip-flop in my head. To me, the number one would correspond
universally to the "primary" button -- the left button for
right-handed users. And as for the MB abbreviation: I've
seen it a few places, but I don't know whether it's prevalent
enough to be commonly understood.

Which one would you folks use?

(BTW, I use a left-handed mouse because it keeps my right hand
free for jotting things down. It's also been said that using
your off hand for things like this improves coordination, and
even some thought processes -- but you couldn't prove it by me ;)

Thanks for your advice...

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200