Re: QUERY: Mouse nomenclature?

Subject: Re: QUERY: Mouse nomenclature?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:51:04 -0800

Jan B. writes...

> Left is always left, yes? no matter which hand you are using. I don't
> understand the confusion.

Yes, of course, the mouse buttons themselves don't move ;-), however,
the functions assigned to the buttons do. Many mouse configurations
programs allow you to "switch" left and right button functions so
that what is accomplished using the index finger on the right
hand is also accomplished using the index finger of the left hand.

I always give instructions using the "default" mouse configuration
(the right-hand configuration). And I include in the preface a
note that instructions are for the default configuration and users
who have altered their mouse behavior must adjust accordingly --
I figure if they're intelligent enough to reconfigure their
mouse they can make the mental swap in my instructions.

Yes, I admit that this is not the most elegant solution, but
I prefer it to the hastle that results from numbering the
buttons. Somebody (?) (I "disremember" who) said primary and
secondary. I like this! Just might try it someday!

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com