Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 16:03:00 PST

At 10:44 AM 3/13/95 +0800, Bill Amos wrote:

>Incidentally, does anyone still write "This Page Intentionally Left
>Blank" on those blank pages? Could someone explain why it's done?
>I'm always tempted to write "This Page Accidentally Left Blank", but
>I've got a family and bills and I need to stay employed....
==============
My understanding is that the terminology is derived from Department of
Defense publications practices. Each page of a classified document must be
stamped with the highest classification of both page sides.

There could conceivable be a classified odd page on the same piece of paper
as an unclassified even page. The unclassified page would still be stamped
SECRET (or whatever the appropriate classification is), but to clarify that
no classified material was missing, the annotation: "This Page
Intentionally Left
>Blank" would appear on the blank page.

I know, I know, there are better and easier ways to do this. I'm just
reporting the rules as I understood them.

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"