Re: Re[5]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators

Subject: Re: Re[5]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:27:49 -0800

Vince Putman said:
> Factual statements based on empirical info are often very hard
> to accept. We often do not want to accept anything like the
> truth of your experiences, but its the real world!

Since I am actually earning money as a technical translator and Arlen
is not, I don't see how his second-hand experience is more valid than
mine. Arlen explained to me in private mail that the people he knew
who did translation were doing it in Japan. I'd never do that--it's
too hard. I like living in the U.S., and I find no shortage of
translation work. In fact, I'm turning work down, because I just don't
have time. (And thanks to Richard Mateosian, who kept me looking for
the Mother Lode of Japanese translators when I had stopped believing
in their existence.)

> BTW, I was the person to whom Karan wrote:

Kar*e*n

> >Vince, you win *my* award for Most Racist Comments on techwr-l!
> To that I say: What value is an award from a fanatic?

To that I say: What value is being called a fanatic by a man who can't
even trouble to spell my name right?!

I asked:
> >How many Americans do you know who can translate technical
> Japanese into >technical English? Can you? Do you know anyone?
> How many people do you >know who know Japanese fluently enough,
> but can't find work because those >Japanese companies are not
> giving them work???

Vince answered:
> In addition to Arlen's, see posts from ELLEN SLAVITZ and others. Enough
> said.

Thanks for answering my question so directly. In other words, you know
none, have never done this, and know nothing about the markets.

> BTW, The truth is just like you state it and as demonstrated
> before, Karen can not deal with "saying it like it is". No
> matter what the subject is.

I talk about my reality as I see it, Vince. And my reality is that I
can do as much work for Japanese companies as I can handle. I'm sorry
you can't accept my view as being as valid as Ellen's.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com