SUMMARY: Resume vs. cv

Subject: SUMMARY: Resume vs. cv
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 10:23:11 IST

Thanks to all who responded to "Resume vs. cv." Here's a summary:

More than two dozen people wrote to explain the difference between a
resume and a curriculum vitae. I called the latter a "cv" and I asked
about capitalization, but I didn't ask about punctuation. A couple of
people favored "c.v.", with periods. Among the others, eleven
capitalized CV, eleven didn't, and one response was mixed.

Only two people told me that a resume and a cv are the same thing. Of
course, people with that opinion have less incentive to respond than
people who believe there is a difference to explain. A Webster's was
quoted: "Webster's allows the use of any or no diacritical marks in the
word 'resume,' and lists 'curriculum vitae' as a synonym."

Thanks to Latin teachers like Mr. Van Nortwick, at least one of us
can testify that the plural "is 'curricula vitarum,' meaning 'the courses
of [several] lives.'"

a cv:

- Twelve people believe that the term "cv" tends to be used in academic
circles whereas "resume" prevails in business circles.

- Half a dozen people believe that the term "cv" tends to be uesd
in British English whereas "resume" prevails in US English--
and "resume" also prevails in Canadian, according to one remark.

- Eleven people believe that a cv is long and detailed, whereas a resume is
a short summary. (As one writer pointed out tentatively, the meaning of
the French word "resume" does suggest a summary.) One person believes
the opposite.

One writer responded, "In my experience, a LOT of people have never
heard the term 'cv'"-- and three others said that personally they hadn't.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| - Death to fanatics! - ||