Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 07:15:00 MST

Suzanne Lee wrote--
> I think all chapters SHOULD start on a right page. However, I think it's a
> complete joke to put text on a blank page stating that the page is blank.
> We just leave it blank.

I've received several responses--both public and private--to my
question about blank pages that I don't know if I'm repeating
myself here or not. If I've said this already, sorry.

IMO, the problem with simply leaving a blank page blank is that
the reader doesn't have a clue whether the page is intentionally
blank, or an error in printing.

I *have* received users manuals with software that have had
*unintentional* blank pages. In one, most of the table of contents,
after the first 2 or 3 pages, was blank except for header and
footer information. I contacted the company and they mailed me
a new manual.

In this case, that the blank pages were an error was obvious.
But that may not always be the case--especially when the blank
page occurs at the end of a chapter. Therefore, putting some
sort of notice on it benefits the readers. Someone said that
their company has forsaken the "This page intentionally..."
statement for a simple "NOTES" heading. I like that.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=