Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 17:24:43 -0500

On Mar 14, 9:19am, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:
> Subject: chapter-based numbering

> Yes, we use them to make things easier when there are changes
> to the manuals. We also start numbering over again on the
> first page of each chapter. (That is, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, new chapter:
> 2-1, 2-2, 2-3...)....

> Can I say that I *hate* that practice, as a user? I know all the production
> advantages of it. But truth is, it makes it much more difficult to find things
> in the manual. For example, can you tell me how far page 2-3 is from page 5-2?

Have you ever used a manual like this that also had tabs? Do you think
that would make it easier to find pages?

In the past, we have used physical tabs. Now that we have moved from
looseleaf binders to softcover books, we use "bleeding tabs" -- that is,
a small square is placed on each page so that it bleeds over and is visible
when the book is closed. In each successive chapter, the squares are placed
an inch or so lower on the page. Thanks to these tabs, you can tell how long
the chapters are because you can physically see each one.

I must admit I'm not totally crazy about our numbering scheme for a different
reason: I can never easily tell how many pages are in the entire document.
The total page count is a really useful number to have!

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200