Using Color in GUI and Online Help

Subject: Using Color in GUI and Online Help
From: Dan Wensel <wenseld -at- TRG -dot- TRGLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:34:51 -0700

We are developing software in a Windows environment and are at a roadblock
with regard
to certain field attributes. The windows we are creating follow Windows
standards with regard to gray background, white boxes, black labels, etc.
However, we want to distinguish mandatory fields and fields that have been
edited on certain windows. We've investigated a number of ways to do this,
but so far, we keep coming back to color as a solution.

Does anyone on this list have any experience with building graphical user
interfaces, particularly with regard to using color appropriately? Is there
anyone in the Phoenix area who might be interested in working with our group
to resolve this issue? We'd like to find someone who has proven experience
in this area who can assist us with this issue as a consultant.

Also, we'd like to hear about any experiences anyone's had using color in
online Help. What colors did you use? What was the reaction? Did any of
your users state a preference for a particular color scheme? Did you find
that any colors just did not work? What recommendations would you make?

Dan Wensel, Manager 2929 N. Central Avenue
Information Development, TRG Inc. Phoenix, AZ 85012
wenseld -at- trg -dot- trglink -dot- com (602) 263-4187