Do we like our jobs?

Subject: Do we like our jobs?
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 12:16:17 EST

And Howard wrote back:

>>>It's worth it because we enjoy our jobs. That, at least, is worth the price
of admission. Plus, we all have to admit that it's kind cool to tell new
acquaintances that we are professional writers.<<<

Bravo, Howard! Yes, I have a lot of complaints about my job, but I know it's the
career for me. And I actually *am* proud to identify myself to other people as a
technical writer. Call me corny, but it's true.

You know, a lot of people on this list complain about a lack of respect for tech
writers. I run into that, too, (to a large degree, even, in some places). But I
think respect begins with self-respect. If you don't feel that what you're doing
is important, nobody else ever will.

BTW--I'm *not* suggesting that anyone here is a whiner. It's nice to share our
complaints and problems in the company of other writers. We just never seem to
mention the *up* sides to the job...

Emily Skarzenski
Head *Technical Writer* (my chest puffs out with appropriate professional pride)
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com